On Dec 28, 2007, at 6:30, Achim Siebert wrote:

I'll have to learn spangling - any tips for instructions?

My absolutely favourite method -- in the old days, when I still used spangled Midlands -- was "the Winslow Way". I got a sheet of instructions from them at the "Arachne '98" gathering in Nottingham, UK but, apparently, the instructions are now available to everyone with an Adobe Reader, as a pdf file :) It makes a spangle that's fairly tight -- no flopping -- but not so tight that you can't fold it back onto the bobbin shank if you want to make a sewing. No sharp ends to catch your thread or to rip your fingers. And it's quick to make, even on the first try.

http://www.winslowbobbins.com/

The problem with spangles, as others have mentioned, is that if you're persnickety and like to match and/or contrast the bead colours with your wood colours, you can spend a bomb on the beads alone, since you'll need about 5 times as many beeds -- to choose from - as you'll ever put on your spangles :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/