I would have thought the leather "apron" was to go over the pillow (like a
cover cloth) to prevent the bobbins/threads catching on the edges of the
pricking. Or perhaps it's used to fasten the top of the bolster to the stand?

The shelf wouldn't be big enough to sit the whole pilow on, but it would be
enough to support the back end of the bolster while the lacemaker sat with
the other end on her lap. (Like some of the continental lacemakers prop their
bolsters against a wall).

Anyone with a bit of knowledge about antique lacemaking equipment have any
idea how it was used and where it might have originated?

Beth

In Cheshire, NW England

 VINTAGE LACE MAKERS STAND