I agree with Clay - I think it's oilcloth (imitation leather).

In the second from last picture (of the studs around the edge), I'd say that, under the stud which is above the right side of the box upright, you can see the weave of the canvas the "leather" coating is applied to. Admittedly this is the trim around the edge, but it matches exactly the rest of the covering. I also think the folds/creases in the covering look more like old oilcloth than old leather. With leather, I'd have expected some of the top finish to show wear along the creases (think of your leather handbags/purses), which it doesn't with this item.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK