"Mother-in-law gave me a large number of crochet hooks that had belonged  to
her
mother... two hooks that are marked "Size H USA" and "Size K  USA".  On the
other side is "Boye"..." Liz

***

Steel hooks are numbered (for threads), and there is an overlap (of about 3
sizes) where the aluminum hooks (for yarn) begin and are lettered.  The larger
aluminum hooks begin at B, and end now, quite large as super bulky yarns are
popular.

The newer aluminum hooks have a letter and a number to denote them (the old
ones
did not), as we move to international trade and internet communication.  The H
is a 5. metric, 8 USA, 6 Canada.  The K is a 6.5 metric, 10.5 US, and 3 Canada.

How is that for confusing?  :-)

On the small crochet hook subject, it is difficult to find the finer 14,15,16
now.  I typically find them where lace is prevalent (from lace to lace
knitting), and beading focused stores.  For a long time, it was almost
impossible to find a 14, and in the old days, it came with a steel cap as it
easily punctured the skin.  I liked the steel cap  Some small hooks come now as
"knit pickers" for pulling snags to the backs of knits.  One source in the US
that comes to mind, is Beadwrangler, for small sized hooks, and is an online
source.  Many state you can't find them anymore, but they are out there!

Best,
Susan Reishus