On 1/12/11 8:52 AM, "Susan Reishus" <elationrelat...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On the small crochet hook subject, it is difficult to find the finer 14,15,16
> now.  I typically find them where lace is prevalent (from lace to lace
> knitting), and beading focused stores.  For a long time, it was almost
> impossible to find a 14, and in the old days, it came with a steel cap as it
> easily punctured the skin.  I liked the steel cap  Some small hooks come now
> as
> "knit pickers" for pulling snags to the backs of knits.  One source in the US
> that comes to mind, is Beadwrangler, for small sized hooks, and is an online
> source.  Many state you can't find them anymore, but they are out there!

I had an antique size 16 hook for years and it finally broke off from over
use.  They are so delicate!  I searched all over our area at flea markets
and antique shops for size 16 hooks because I use it for my fine thread lace
like Honiton and also for fine tatting.  I didn't have much luck finding one
for a long time.  I finally got one from Susan Groh of Unique
Expressions(Lace supplier out of Kansas City, KS[?]) at a lace gathering at
the Heartland Lace Guild's lace display at the Annual Paducah Quilt Show.
And this hook is special because it is bent slightly before the hook to make
joinings easier and less tension on the thread while joining.  I like that
feature!
No connection, just happy customer!

I am always on the lookout at the antique places to find more size 16 hooks
in case my one and only decides to bust off.  Crossing fingers....

--
Mark, aka Tatman
website: http://www.tat-man.net