When I took my first lessons in bobbin lace way back in 1977, I was taught to trace the pattern from the book or photocopy and then prick through the tracing onto strong pricking card, then transfer the markings with pencil first and then with a fineliner pen, rubbing out the pencil markings. I prepared all my prickings this way for quite a few years, and passed it on to my pupils too. Then I discovered the see-through matt contact paper and making photocopies became easier when copyshops opened up. I still used card under the pricking whether I covered it with contact or not. Then, in 2007 I went to Gozo, Malta to attend the Lace Summer School. We were taught by Consiglia Azzopardi and she demonstrated how the Maltese prepare their prickings. What a light-bulb moment! They use the see-through blue contact the same as everyone else but sandwich the photocopied pricking between the contact on the front and the backing paper at the back. To add extra strength to the pricking a piece of calico or old sheeting is sandwiched in there too, between the photocopy and the backing paper. It makes a nice strong pricking but is soft enough to make the pins go through easily. I never did master Consiglia's trick of folding the top of the sandwich and sticking that only, and then flipping the whole thing up in the air and it all sticks together in a flash, and I never want to use a hard Maltese pillow again, but I nearly always use the blue contact and it's backing paper to prepare my prickings now. I still preprick so that I can feel where the pins must go, making the lace as accurate as I can while saving wear and tear on my eyesight and my back. I also hate using white thread on a white pricking as I cannot see what I have done or whether there is a mistake there.

Janis Savage in Honeydew, South Africa
Where we are having the last few days of lovely summer weather before autumn sets in.

---------------------
This suggestion has been put to me a number of times and so I'd
better confront it. There are a number of reasons why Iwill never
copy on to card stock and these include:

- I could not stand to have to pre-prick

- I get enough calluses and holes in my finger tips pushing thousands
of pins through paper - let alone card.

- when I decide to make a piece of lace, I want to do it right NOW,
and my paper prickings covered in plastic can be ready to work in
only a couple of minutes.

- of all the hundreds of pieces of lace I've made, both large and
small, I have never had the need

David in Ballarat