Dear Jane,

thanks for a most interesting email. Just when I was considering going over to a laser printer too!

I've also found that the window/shelf covering self-adhesive plastic film sold by the metre in d-i-y or decorating shops can work out cheaper than the book covering film - you can get a clear matt version whereas most of the book films are shiny.

If the shininess bothers you it only takes a few seconds to remove it and make the film matt with a brand new dish scouring pad (those dark green ones). So I pay less than $1 for a metre of plastic film and usually pick them up on sale or at the Reject Shops for around 50 cents a roll.

David in Ballarat