My contribution to this discussion is that personally I prefer to work on
card rather than paper, so if only paper is available I use two or three
thicknesses.  This is because I like the feel of the support that the pricking
gives to the pins.

I don't always prick in advance - Withof and Hinojosa are pricked as you
work, and my own designed Milanese I work in the same way.  For strip laces I
do tend to prick in advance as it makes it *much* quicker to place the pins
accurately as you can feel the holes without needing to see them.

For this reason, and after the recent discussion with David about the need
to pin Point Ground ground at all, I am surprised he doesn't pre-prick, but
I guess with a single layer of paper/film there wouldn't be much of a hole
to feel; when I am pricking in advance I tend not to use the film as it heals
over the hole and reduces the benefit of the work done pricking.

>From the quality of David's lace he is obviously well able to hit bullseye
with most, of not all the pins <VBG>

For my students though, it depends on who they are.  Some of them really
struggle to do a good pricking even when they don't have all the threads
hanging over the dots, and for them I do encourage pre-pricking in a good light
and with a magnifyer - even if they don't need to use one for the lace
itself.  Most actually prefer to do it, and I would never discourage that.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire