When this came up on Arachne in about 2002, I decided to buckle down and do my inventory, for insurance purposes. I store it in Excel, with details of spangles, inscriptions, costs, supplier etc. It was a lot of work - and revealed a huge collection of bobbins! Now, the collection grows slowly (generally one or two at a time, apart from the exciting occasion when I was given someone else's collection) so there is not much to do to maintain it / add to it.

My son looks ahead in all things, and likes to be prepared for everything. (At 7, he was busy planning the toy shop he would own when he was grown-up, and working out details like whether it should be a shop or a market stall and where he would get the price labels!) So he is very grateful to know that this file exists, so that he has some clue how to dispose of them after my death (which we both hope will be a long time off).

Sue

sueba...@comcast.net