On 16/04/2011 09:02, lacel...@frontier.com wrote:
From: Nancy Neff
  >If I had known how much usable pillows and bobbins (even Continental
bobbins) were going to cost me eventually I might never have started. Thank
heavens I didn't know!  Now it's too much fun to stop.

The cost of the art can sneak up on you.  I know some people have one pillow
and one set of bobbins, and are happy to keep to that.  I tend to get over
enthusiastic when I'm enjoying myself.

I think back to Arachne 98 when my class list specified bringing 100 pair of
bobbins.  I gasped, and started counting bobbins.  I found I could just make
the requirement if I finished two projects, dumped one or two, and spangled all
bobbins not yet in action.  Then I got to thinking that the average value of
those bobbins was about $5 each.  That meant that I was packing $1000 worth of
bobbins in my bag.

I haven't counted my bobbins since then...and have acquired many, many more of
them. (I would guess over a thousand).  An inventory would be good for
insurance purposes, but it would also shock my mind on how much I've spent on
them.  (Plus pillows and all that other stuff.)

How important is it to have a current inventory of all lacemaking equipment?
Is it really worth the time and effort?

Alice in Oregon ... looking forward to no rain next week.

Insurance of bobbins.

I put mine under contents which covers them individually up to a certain amount. Some people put them in as tools of the trade'. Since I have many Barry Adams ivory(old piano keys) bobbins if I priced them out I'd need a mortage to cover the yearly premium. It's not only bobbins -pillows, books, threads . The list is endless of the extras we collect. A nightmare when we came to downsize yet again to a much smaller house. My solution was to give most of my antique laces to The Manor House Museum in Bury St. Edmunds together with books on history and identification. This way they have become available to other lacemakers and not just me.
Sheila in Sawbo' where it has turned colder and grey.