I sure admire you for persevering in the face of your problems.
Karen in Malta

Let your email find you with BlackBerry® from Vodafone

-----Original Message-----
From: "Jean Nathan" <j...@nathan54.freeserve.co.uk>
Sender: owner-l...@arachne.com
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 08:28:35
To: Lace<lace@arachne.com>
Subject: [lace] Arthritic hands and picking up bobbins

The problem with the method in the video is that the bobbins are being held
up in the hands and her fingers are supple. I couldn't do that because my
hands aren't supple and also would become tired within a few minutes.
Assuming I could do it at all, I'd have to stop and rest them before I could
continue. I'd also think it could be quite a painful method for some. I
tried one project with Bruges style bobbins, but gave them away because I
couldn't cope with them - I need the spangle to move them.

There are over 90 different types of arthritis - osteo which is bone rubbing
on bone (usually) from wear and tear on a joint and which most of us get as
we get older, and the inflammatory types which affect soft tissue such as
rheumatoid, psoriatic, lupus. People with osteo arthritis often can't
understand what is so different between what they have and the inflammatory
types. In my case it's rheumatoid and there's little evidence of it in my
hands because it's controlled well but it doesn't take much to cause one or
more finger joints to inflame. That's the reason why I would choose to move
bobbins by the spangles.

The other reason isn't choice; as I said previously, my fingers don't work
properly. It seems to be an interruption to the signal between my brain and
my fingers, probably in the same way that the tingling and pain in carpel
tunnel syndrome is cause by pressure on the nerve by inflammatory tissue in
the wrist, the signal to my finger tips doesn't always get there. I can be
doing some sewing and happily thread needles, then suddenly I can't get the
thread anywhere near the eye of the needle or into the place I'm aiming at
on what I'm sewing, and I start dropping the needle, am unable to pickup the
thread or a pin. Grip goes completely.

My bobbins stay on the pillow even when I'm doing a plait.

I envy those of you who have the dexterity to choose how you work.
Fortunately most of us can find a way we can manage.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK