Dear Susan,

If you have access to Gil Dye's "The Isham Samples and Other Linen Edgings"
 there are several patterns that would suit you from the Elizabethan era.
Some use 2 colors of thread, which I have found makes it easier for people
new  to viewing a lace demonstration to see the thread paths.  Adding a bit
of  history at a library location, would be appropriate and you might find a
costume  book that shows the narrow laces used on coifs and clothing edges.

Because of the Isham connection, there was a long article (with pictures)
by Rosemary Shepherd in the Fall 2012 IOLI lace bulletin.  You might  even
find an article by Gil - she writes for both IOLI and The Lace Guild (UK)
bulletins.

Or, you can make a simple Torchon ground of any width.  See Rosemary's
"Introduction to Bobbin Lacemaking", page 32.  People can relate to  stitches
which resemble machine-made net (tulle) yardage.

I used this idea and set up a basic pillow with tatting threads (they don't
 break at demos, and there is enough space to see the threads and show the
route  an individual thread takes using a corsage pin as pointer).  I wound
bone bobbins with white, and black hand-painted bobbins with blue
variegated.  The effect is pretty, and the bobbins are set up in a  sequence to
create a diamond shape of blue down the middle.   Not for your limited pillow
space, Susan, but an idea for anyone who  wants to talk with the public while
demonstrating.  A large fully-dressed  pillow with many bobbins and dense
pattern is discouraging and elicits the usual  "I don't have the patience!".

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 12/2/2013 10:55:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,