I agree with Robin - I usually don't take a practice pillow, either - I let them do a few stitches of whatever I'm doing, after all, cross and twist are the same regardless of whether it is a bit of tape you are making or something that looks like (and is) lace! If a newspaper photographer can do a square of roseground, there is no reason why we have to confine people to cloth stitch. I take my lace pillow to work on when I'm travelling by train - with a table seat, I sometimes get company, and have had a brother and sister (aged about 7 and 9) do several different stitches by the time they reached their stop... by which time the Senior Conductress was interested, too!

I also explain the number of pairs in relation to knitting (if they knit) - that we are only making one stitch at a time, using two pairs of bobbins - and compare the number of stitches to the fact that they aren't daunted by the huge number of stitches on their needles if they are working the back of a jumper!

In message <20131205064327.0ZLPM.75308.root@cdptpa-web08>, robinl...@socal.rr.com writes
---- jeria...@aol.com wrote:
A large fully-dressed  pillow with many bobbins and dense
pattern is discouraging and elicits the usual  "I don't have the patience!".

This is not necessarily so. I've started using a wider torchon pattern (50+ pairs) for demonstration and I've had great reactions.

--
Jane Partridge