Hi Jenny

I thoroughly agree with you.  The spangle adds weight without width (useful if
you are working with many bobbins) and it also reduces the tendency for bobbin
to roll which is a nuisance when the bobbin will not stay in place and causes
the twist on the thread to change. As you say, a slightly domed pillow allows
the weight of the bobbin and spangle to continue to act on the thread thus
assisting with tension, and also it assists in keeping the hitch in place.
Adding weight at the end of the bobbin affects the handling, and I hold East
Midlands bobbins further down the shank than I do Continental bobbins.  I have
found that I choose the length and weight of the bobbin, including the
spangle, to suit the weight of the thread, i.e. I use larger, heavier bobbins
with thick thread.  For very fine thread e.g. 240/2 Egyptian, I use bobbins
that are 9-9.5 cm long that weigh 2gm with a spangle of 0.5gm.

I have an interesting anecdote regarding Eat Midlands versus Continental
bobbins. Many years ago I was asked to do a introduction to Valenciennes
workshop.  I had 6 students including one very experienced lace teacher, known
for the quality of her lace, and a much younger person with only six months
experience who was showing all the signs of becoming a good lacemaker. The
lace teacher used the smaller Continental bobbins, with which she had had
plenty of experience, and the newer lacemaker used spangled East Midlands
bobbins. By the end of the day the new lacemaker’s tension was by far the
better of the two. We were stunned! I leave you to come to your own
conclusions.

Happy lacemaking

Alex