When I first started learning (teaching myself from the old Golden Hands magazines), I heard about a lace workshop and went to see and to talk to the teacher. She was whizzing round the room from student to student and for most of them the instruction was along the lines of "do cross twist cross to the next pin hole and then I'll be back" or whatever they were supposed to be doing.

When she had a moment and spoke to me I showed her what I had done - her response "Not very good is it. Of course you can't do good lace if you don't use linen thread". I admit it wasn't very good, I'd only been trying for about 2 weeks, but I did understand what I was doing. When we formed a group a couple of months later, several of those ladies were stuck - didn't know what to do or how to do it; didn't know what the stitches were called; didn't understand the concept of finishing one motif before doing the next bit, etc. etc. etc. The couple of ladies in the group who had perhaps made a little lace before the workshop had to help the others and it was several month before the bookmarks were even close to being completed in many cases.

Malvary in Ottawa where it is going from -6 this morning to +6 by this afternoon. Nice bright sunny day.