I have sent Nancy and Lorelei some photos that I took that I can only share
privately for study purposes. (Anyone else?) They show rather elaborate tally
grounds such as I associate with Honiton. This  falls into the category of
something I never thought about before. But, when did tally grounds, by which
I mean lots of square tallies, in a ground like arrangement with other
stitches, first start to appear? Can we put a date on it? It is sort of hard
to tell from Levey if, for instance, the Benediction Veil dated 1716 in plate
318 might have tally grounds, because like these pieces, they appear to be
square, like five hole grounds in an overall picture.
To Nancy’s point that point d’Angleterre applies to two different laces in
different eras, it is sort of the case with Brussels bobbin lace as well. I
was reading the introduction to the 2004 book by Claire Browne about lace in
the V & A in order to observe her use of terminology and, although she is
trying to adopt the “Brussels bobbin lace” nomenclature for “point
d’Angleterre” at one point she has to start differentiating between the
Brussels part lace and the Brussels application lace when comparing it to a
different lace. One problem is that they made everything in Brussels. In fact
you might call Duchesse Brussels bobbin lace.
Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10