Jane and Jopie have both written of problems in using elastic or other
rubber bands on their bobbins.

Jane wrote:

warning. <snip>Small elastic bands work very well to keep two bobbins
together. But, I'm a slow worker and my large Bucks Point piece took a year
tomake. During that time the rubber bands perished and stuck to the woodleaving
blue or black coloured rings on the bobbin shanks.

 From Joepie

 . . . rubber and wood react together and the rubber rots even quicker. Tie
a piece of thread around the bobbins to be marked (with a loop knot for
quick removal). This can be used on continentals as well.

I have used orthodontic rubber bands for years, with no problems. I think
they are made from some substance other than rubber, so any chemical
reaction would be different than what Jane and Joepie have experienced.

In addition to binding two bobbins together, what I mainly use them for is
to mark my worker pair(s) or some other pair I need to keep track of.  They
last forever, and come in different colors. Although I got mine from an
orthodontist, I think I have seen them listed on Amazon.com too.

Not sure about using them on spangled bobbins, however - I use
International or Square bobbins.

My two cents,

Sally