Regarding Alex’s insightful comment, I have to say that I go back and forth
about color in lace myself. On the one hand, I like color. On the other hand,
the palette of lace making is texture and pattern. When you are using pattern
and differences in density for your palette you tend to use the techniques of
bobbin lace and needle lace  to their ultimate.  In fact, it has been a bit of
a problem in staging the exhibition. The exhibition isn’t very colorful. The
most vibrantly colorful objects are ones made by the lace artists of the
1970s. That phase appears to be over. Now lace artists are using the palette
of pattern and texture to a greater extent, and are working in monochrome,
even if the chrome may be red or black. I am finding myself realizing that
lace technique developed in an environment of monochrome and miniaturization.
But, modern art galleries are large places that typically display large
colorful art.

Devon