I did a quick Google and found some dispiriting info:
"You can, however, use denatured alcohol to remove latex, lacquer, shellac and
polyurethane finishes”
and
"Most polys [polyurethanes finishes] are somewhat resistant to alcohols
(incidental exposure) and the finish may be unaffected if spills are cleaned
up immediately”
all of which suggests to me that alcohol can not be relied on to leave bobbins
undamaged, whether they’ve been finished with polyurethane, latex paint,
lacquer or shellac.

Perhaps it would be enough to leave the bobbins alone (even the plain wooden
ones) and rely instead on the teacher washing her hands or using hand
sanitizer before touching each student’s bobbins.

I do not know what they’re saying in other parts of the world, but our
public health scientists are saying that the danger of the virus transferring
from surfaces is less than originally thought.

Adele

> On Aug 14, 2020, at 3:10 PM, N.A. Neff <nancy.a.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Useful info. Maybe recommend strongly that everyone use plain bobbins, and
even bring an extra as a test bobbin. I think mild bleach solutions or other
disinfectants are likely to be as rough as alcohol, don't you? What would be a
good alternative?