Can confirm the effects of alcohol on a wood finish. Back in March, I filled up
a small spray bottle with rubbing alcohol for disinfecting doorknobs, phone
screens and what-have-you, and ended up spilling a bit on the poly-finished
kitchen tabletop. I wiped it up immediately, but the finish was pretty badly
pitted as a result. (Fortunately it's an old, not valuable, table and already
battle-scarred.)

Beth