> On 5/20/06, Joost van der Sluis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > That programmers in other languages don't succeed in writing their own
> > RAD, doesn't mean that we have to provide them with one, imho.
> >
> > But if someone else want to do that... be my guest. I'm not gonna do it.
>
> But then, people who like working with Lazarus might be forced to use
> other languages by those who pay us. This way we can make those people
> and also also us happy.
>
> Of course I don't think those who don't pass by this situation should
> be forced to help implementing it.
>
> The biggest problem is that I cannot see the advantage of adding c++
> for Lazarus for example, without allowing it to access LCL. This would
> make it just another text editor, and there is plenty already. Maybe a
> C++_to_pascal converter could help in this situation.

The problem with mixing language is that you spend tons of time making
workarounds for the
difference between the languages. One or two similar languages like C and
Pascal is not so
bad but when you try and integrate a dynamically typed language and a strong
typed
language, and a few static and a few weak languages your IDE becomes one giant
workaround
instead of a solid dedicated product. For example, if the IDE was to handle PHP
- would
variables be declared in a strong typing fashion so that the IDE could parse
the file and
find the var declaration? No. There is no var declaration in PHP. So what good
is the
"find declaration" code tools item in the menu. So you'd have to remove that
feature out
of the IDE just for PHP - hence taking time out to make the IDE a workaround,
instead of
taking the time to do other things. And that bloats it up, with lots of
workaround code.
Unless you use a plug-in system which may be very very complicated and very
well thought
out - and even then, you still have to explain to the users how to download
which plug-in
for which language - instead of just shipping them one easy to install IDE
dedicated to
Pascal.