Well I've reduced the flicker a little by doing a few small things
(mostly not reloading images unless they have changed).
I also set the "DoubleBuffered" property of the components to true,
though I see no effect from doing so nor do I know what effect it's
supposed to have.
My understanding of doublebuffering (as I learned it doing things like
SDL) is that it means that any changes to the component/canvas is
drawn in memory NOT on screen, and only when they are all done do you
update the component with one single action (drawing the memory buffer
to the screen buffer - known commonly as a 'flip') - my TDoubleBuffer
component is based on doing exactly that.
What it means when you set the doublebuffered property of a button to
true I don't know - though I would love to find out.

A.J.