On Jan 28, 2008 11:48 AM, Warren Postma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My reason for complaining about Lazarus, and calling it "unusable", is
> that it suffers from worse usability defects (for what I want to use it for)
> than even the worst-ever versions of Delphi such as Delphi 2005.

And these are...? I notice you didn't say "bugs". Are you talking
about design flaws or bug? And if they are bugs, have you reported
them?

> If Lazarus could be as useful to me as Delphi 7, I would change my
> opinion from "nice little toy", to "amazing open source platform" pretty
> quickly.

In what ways is not as useful as D7? I find it much more usable, myself.

> It's not that I hate Lazarus. I am deeply disappointed with it.

In what ways? Please be specific.

> All the whiners who stopped buying from CodeGear because of low quality,
> seem to have no problem with the low quality and the missing basic
> features of Lazarus that Delphi has had since Delphi 3.0.

Which are...?

> You still can't install packages in Lazarus because the underlying FPC
> compiler lacks a runtime package system that could support a more
> delphi-like designtime/runtime packages installation system.  Which by
> the way is the worst part of Delphi. Everyone complains about Delphi
> component installation headaches.

Wait, I'm confused. You complain about not being able to install
packages in Lazarus (which isn't true, BTW, it's just different than
Delphi), but then you say that's the worst part about Delphi. So which
is it?

> If Lazarus develops ANY package support whatsoever, I'll contribute and
> help make it better.

They have, and you haven't. I think what you mean is "dynamic package
packages. In fact, because they aren't dynamically loaded, it doesn't
break the debugger (which happens on Delphi all the time).

> Cross platform matters to me. So I'm not like most of the "lazarus
> haters".  I'm not a hater at all. But I am a critic.

Vague criticism without details is simply hate draped in deceptive clothing.