Quoting Warren Postma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

It's not that I hate Lazarus. I am deeply disappointed with it.

I was disappointed at first, but that didn't stop me, for using Lazarus, even with all its bugs.

basic features of Lazarus that Delphi has had since Delphi 3.0.

It's better to have an 50% Open Source software that you know you can always update, than a 100% software that has bugs, and its manufacturer has no signs of continuing its development.

help make it better.  But until the FPC base compiler supports some
kind of runtime package support, I see no point working on the top

Altought, I'm not part of the "core" Lazarus active developers,
I check this issue, personally.

You see, "Packages" are actually based on "Windowze Dynamic Link Libraries" or "Un*x Shared Objects". The Free Pascal Compiler support for this, is incomplete.

Compiler Design its not a trivial task. IT'S THE DIFFICULT TASK. A famous compiler book shows a knight trying to kill a dragon, as a metaphor.

There is a workaround for this, that is compiling statically Lazarus with new units, when a component (package) is added. Is not the perfect solution.

But it works.

level GUI (lazarus).  Maybe I should try to help the FPC team write
package support. I don't know if I can, I have zero compiler-writing

Some of us know some school stuff about compilers. But, as I mention before, it's not a simple thing. Most of the few IT people who could the "DLL/SO" support required for the packages, (I think), already work in other stuff, have a busy job, or work with C/C++, having a disregard for pascal-related projects...

I even suggest in previous post, the possibility of hiring a compiler company, or person to do that task, via a Lazarus Foundation.

Guys, what you think ?
Weird, Crazy, but realistic idea ?

Another, potential workaround, its to translate Lazarus sources into C/C++, and use a C/C++ compiler for the dynamic libraries. (Many guys really won't like this one).

haters".  I'm not a hater at all. But I am a critic.

Many guys around here, share your frustration about the things in Lazarus that aren't finished. The active developers give some of their free time to keep this moving, and the last thing I think they want to hear, is "complains".

If you have some free time, (not everybody does), and some object pascal knowledge, there is some stuff you could do. Maybe not the DLL/Package support, but other stuff:

http://freepascal.org/contrib/add.php3

Cheers (With a pint of Tequila ;-) )

mramirez
P.D. Lazarus active developers get two pints of tequila here ;-)