I was waiting for this one, here it is, you wrote it!!

At this time I'm far to be the best Lazarus contributor, but please let
me explain why I am still there, why my mailer still fetch more than 1
hundred mails every day... with maybe 50% of them from lazarus,
including debug list:

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 10:57 +0200, A.J. Venter wrote:

> I learned pascal on my own in primary school. In high school I studied

Same thing here.

> it much further. Then I entered university and it was all java (which I
> grew to hate).

I had to learn and use java for a long time, for professional purposes.
I'm continuying to implement some java solutions. I don't "hate" it, but
the fact is simple: I really prefer and love pascal, fpc, lazarus.
exactly as you said:

> direqcafe - despite my job being in other languages, I loved pascal as
> an old friend and having fpc let me contribute to and learn linux

I actually dozen of lazarus projects, some of them 'useables' but not
releaseables yet. It's comming ;)

'bout Linux and Delphi... I began to use linux in 1995. I began to use
Delphi at the same time, dreaming of the day when delphi'd be available
on this fantastic OS.

> I have never even USED delphi - I was a poor coder in a poor country and
> lazarus let me learn OP and graphical programming on my own time with
> zero budget !

Same thing here: back in Madagascar since 2002, from France. In France,
Cachan, I had the opportunity to talk about Free Softwares, Linux,
FreePascal and lazarus (was it Megido??) trying to convince the Malagasy
Diaspora of the opportunity given to Developping Countries by these
stuffs! My experiences here in Madagascar prove that I was right! ;-)

> Last year, I quit my job and founded a small development company called

I'm in my way to create one. Not entirely a development one but that's
not the matter.

> outkast solutions. My first (open source) project was outkafe - a newly

I'll give it a try! So many cybercafe here in Madagascar, many of them
about to migrate to Linux!

> redone direqcafe - a project that now has well over 10 thousand sites
> using it world wide - most of them in poor countries.

Kindly send the website's URL please ;)

> I run a highly successful business (profitable in it's first year -
> almost unheard of) using lazarus, in fact, using EXCLUSIVELY free (as in
> speech AND beer) software !

I believe you! Even if I have Delphi and Kylix, I prefer to use Lazarus
when I need to develop an app. Because I saw it growing (one of my
ongoing projects, once upon a time, was the beginning of a Delphi2 like
using fpc & GTK and some converted units... this was before I met
megido!) I prefer to use lazarus because it's cross-platform, because...
you said it... it's free, because... I was, and still am, really glad
that better developpers than me are working so hard in order to let us
use fpc and lazarus!

Ok... you understood that I'm no more so in love with Delphi... huh, I
still love Delphi but just a little bit... it's too windows-centric... I
mean, if Delphi compatibility now really cause problem to Lazarus's
quick growth, my opinion is to let Lazarus rule the world in allowing
developers to produce effective and portable apps! period!!! okay, okay,
I shut it up ;)

> effort, and lazarus lets me develop stable usable software that people
> are using.

Yeah! And even if I saw many bugs apearing these months (gtk2 stuffs and
so on), I argue that Lazarus is not so far to be the best of the best!

> Lazarus is not a poor second cousin to delphi. It's the future of object
> pascal and it's abilities hugely exceed what you need to do successful,
> profitable development work. Yes there are features I would like to see

YOU SAID IT!

> - when I identify them, I try to help add them - I can actually DO that!

That's where I'm lacking. And I know I'm not the only busy guy on this
list! Huh... maybe, because of lack of practices, am I just the worst
pascal developer in the world ;-)))

> I consider THAT the killer feature. Whatever delphi cannot do - and that
> cannot be handled by a component - a delphi developer cannot do.
> In lazarus - if I need it, I add it.

yeah! once again, it's free software!

When I first saw the subject of this thread, I was tempted to do
[CTRL+H]+Del ! Now, I just want to change the Subject line:

"why do lazarus users hate delphi so much?"  okay, I won't!

No, please believe me: I'm still loving Delphi... just a little bit...
but... I mean,... (Okay, okay!! I sh... it up! ;-))))

--
Linuxeries      http://linuxeries.blogspot.com
Toraka Bilaogy  http://torakabilaogy.blogspot.com