The problem was worse before 16 bit target image support was added but that
did not completely fix the problem.    My testing indicates that it only
happens in the darkest parts of images and is worse in areas that have highly
saturated very dark colors (dark reds and yellows seem to be the worst).  It
does not show up at all in images with lower contrast levels as far as I can
tell since these images will not have areas dark enough to show the problem.

I would also like to add (having played with a bunch of different profiles in the past few hours) that the low-luminance measurements end up with significantly more error than the high luminance measurements when using linear data. It almost implies that the curve-fitting optimization implies log-spacing on the data in its error minimization. Possible?

BTW, iccexamin is becoming cooler all the time. I was unaware of the matrix visualization and the measurement display capability. Much easier to see in 3-space which swatches don't match well.

-Cory