Cory Papenfuss wrote:

I'm rather ignorant of what's in a colorimeter, but I'd imagine it's not too horibly complicated. Certainly little to be proprietary.... just the sensor calibration is what's tricky. I'm assuming it's just tri-color sensor that just has well-known spectral response curves?

There are some more subtleties to things than that. The effect that
refresh rate has on things for a start. The fact that the filters
aren't exactly equivalent to XYZ responses. The CCD readings
may be raw ones, and there may be software temperature compensation,
dark noise compensation, and numerous other details, but I agree
that there's probably less magic than their manufacturers would like
to imagine involved, and many people might be prepared to live without
a degree of accuracy, if it made the devices available on other platforms.

expensive" since the Spectrolino is still in production but too expensive for many users (over. $3000 list).

    Ummm.. yeah.

The Spectrolino is a high quality, and versatile instrument. Second
hand ones could be available more cheaply than that, but yes,
it's not aimed at casual users who just want to profile their screen.
As for what Argyll supports, it supports every instrument that I
have easy access to, and interface information for. Being a non-commercial
project with no other support, I don't feel compelled at present to go
out there and buy lots of other instruments, and then spend months
trying to reverse engineer their communications - sorry, I've
scratched my itch in that direction for the moment.

>> as there are fewer variables.  LPROF had by far the lowest delta E
>> numbers of any of the packages evaluated and current version of LPROF is
better
>> than the version tested both with respect to delta E numbers and
particularly the
>> smoothness of the CLUT curves.
>>
>     I hadn't run into that page before.  Impressive.  The new spline fit
> in lprof-dev certainly does a good job on my DSLR.

Thanks :-)

Just as an aside, I figured there was no inherent reason to limit the target to just an IT8, so I tried to generate one with argyll's targen and printtarg. Got a target and cal file, but coulnd't figure out how to make the equivalent of an .ITX target that lprof liked. It's got potential to make LOTS of color points for monitor calibration.

Presumably you need to measure your custom target using an instrument,
and the resulting XYZ values will form the reference file.

Graeme Gill.