Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

For a LCD, yes, you'll likely need rather many samples. But many CRT monitors can be characterized reasonably accurate with a simple Matrix/GGO model - and such a model has only 5x3 degrees of freedom (if the "upper right end" of the TRC is constrained to [1,1]), so five independent samples should be basically enough in order that the problem is not underdetermined and the model parameters can be solved. Of course that's an absolute minimum, and more samples are better in order to average out measurement errors, spatial variations, etc.

(Btw, depending on the chosen number of orders used for modeling the TRC, Argyll's shaper model may have some more degrees of freedom than GGO, but it is still a rather reasonably low number)

For reasons that I haven't looked into, I found a dramatic difference
between the fit of a shaper/matrix model to a calibrated vs. uncalibrated
display. After I'd calibrated my display (which takes out any zero
offset in each channel, makes each channel have a fixed response
curve, and makes the three channels mix together properly to
form white), the fit was very good. On an uncalibrated display,
the fit was rather poor.

Graeme Gill.