On 2/17/02 at 5:52 AM, Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> At 2002-02-16 21:31 -0600, David Douthitt wrote:
> >I was thinking one would run this script in a LEAF
> >environment - and it would be set up by a developer, who
> >defines what is needed.  Then you could boot Oxygen (or
> >PacketFilter, or...) and run this script which tests the
> >environment.
>
> David,
> Exactly. Then I thought we could take this output, and use
> it to check  new packages for release/branch
> compatibility. The output could be placed in a text file,
> and parsed by another script that is designed to test
> packages. This new script wouldn't run from a LEAF
> environment. Instead, it would use a development
> environment.
>
> A release/branch lead developer runs the environment test
> script on his/her release/branch. He then places the
> output files on our site. A package developer downloads
> the environment test script output files to a machine with
> the package test script. The package developer then tests
> his/her new package.

Well, that's not quite what I had in mind.  For me, I was thinking
more along the lines of:

A distribution developer perhaps runs a script, writes some shell
code, etc. - and creates a "package" (or shell script, really) which
tests for various things.  The script (or scripts) would work within
the LEAF environment...

Then a package creator (or software developer) would run a compilation
of these scripts (which would have some overlap... and which overlap
would be removed...) and it would tell him if his code was compatible
with the environment or not.  These scripts would be available to run
in the LEAF environment, or any environment...

> $ lrp_pkg_tst.pl foo.lrp
> Testing foo.lrp ...
> file structure: OK
> program name: foo
> program version: 1.00
> libc version: 2.1.3
> Checking compatibility with Oxygen...
>    Parsing 1.9 output: yes
>    Parsing 1.8 output: yes
>    Parsing Dec.2000 output: no
> Checking compatibility with Dachstein...
>    Parsing 1.0.2 1680: no
>    Parsing 1.0.2 CD: no

I was thinking more like:

# lrp_pkg_tst.sh requirements.txt