On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 21:59, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> > > using sh-httpd. or a
> > > small server (boa, thttpd)

It looks as if almost noone knows about mini_httpd
(http://www.acme.com/). It's from the same authors as thttpd. It's a
little slower than thttpd, but smaller (40k vs. 71k) and it can be built
with ssl support!

> > It can be done with sh-httpd. Mosquito has used thttpd,
> > but thttpd is considerably larger (and more versitile).
> > My vote would be to use sh-httpd w/POST patch.
>
> IMHO, any web-administration utility should be fairly web-server
> neutral.  Since sh-httpd is small, and presents what I believe is a
> standard CGI interface to back-end programs, it is a good candidate.  It
> should be possible to use boa, thttpd, apache, or any other CGI-enabled
> web-server with little difficulty, however.
>
> > Anyone who would like to volunteer to work on any ideas, code re-work
> > within the existing Weblet, or developing the new code-base for
> CLI/WWW
> > configuration integration would be welcome to participate.
> <snip>
> > I am presently starting work on the framework.
> >
> > I believe that this is more of a devel topic, so I am moving the
> thread
> > to leaf-devel. Is anyone ready to work on and/or discuss any sections
> > of this???
>
> I can commit to any updates/modifications to sh-httpd that may be
> required.  I think it's possible to dramatically increase the CGI
> response of the existing sh-httpd when running CGI's, which would be a
> big help for a CGI driven admin interface.

I haven't looked at sh-httpd recently, but some form of authentication
may be a good idea if it's used for a configuration interface.

> I can also help with architure, debugging, and (hopefully) crafty
> solutions to difficult scripting problems, but I can't commit to writing
> a major chunk of code due to current time constraints (although this may
> change suddenly if the company I work for suddenly "craters" :-/ ).
>
> *WACKY THOUGHT* - If we use sh-httpd as the web-server, and shell-script
> CGI's, would there be any benifit to wrapping the whole thing into a
> unified structure?  In other words, create a custom script-based CGI
> interface, rather than trying to match "standard" CGI...something like a
> shell-script version of PHP.  It could probably be faster/smaller than
> sticking with a conventional web-server/CGI approach, but would be less
> portable to other web servers.  Something to think about.
>
> *WACKY IDEA #2*
> I've been investigating forth, and will be working on a micro-controller
> based hygrometer project running forth on an Ateml AVR processor in the
> near future.  I've been wanting access to a scripting language more
> powerful than shell-script on LEAF, and I think forth might fit the
> bill.  It's possible to compile forth without *ANY* libc requirements,
> but with the ability to talk *DIRECTLY* to the kernel (so you could load
> libc and make calls to it, if you really wanted, and do pretty much
> anything you want...remember the irreplacable part of libc is
> essentially an interface between C programs and the kernel, the rest is
> just a bunch of standard routines to make programmer's lives a bit
> easier).  That's a lot of power for an interpreter that would probably
> weigh in at 10K to 20K Bytes, with code that can potentially run at near
> optimized C speeds (ie *WAY* faster than shell-script)!
>
> I've wanted to code an initial bootstrap loader in forth for a while
> (something that would boot from CD/Floppy/whatever, and optionally swap
> out the kernel, allowing fancy boot-time configuration w/o having to
> re-burn a CD to set kernel options.  The ability to make kernel calls
> from a script, w/o having any libc or /bin/sh dependencies is very cool
> for a boot-loader.  I also think an available forth interpreter could
> potentially help the construction of a new packaging system as well as
> fancy CGI admin scripts.

That sounds really cool.

> I can volunteer time to help craft a forth implementation for LEAF, if
> anyone else is interested...

I'll have a look a forth first. I did come across a small forth
interpreter here (eforth):

http://www.lxhp.in-berlin.de/index-lx.shtml

I just built it, and the static executable is 22k small. Compare that to

> ...oh, if you really want to get wacky, the web-server could be written
> in forth, too!

There are more people with such ideas :-)

http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/httpd-en.html

It seems to be included in the gforth distribution.

Ewald Wasscher

"I'll be back"