> It looks as if almost noone knows about mini_httpd
> (http://www.acme.com/). It's from the same authors as thttpd. It's a
> little slower than thttpd, but smaller (40k vs. 71k) and it can be
built
> with ssl support!

I'm well aware of mini_httpd, but it's 40K...sh-httpd is about 9K
(including the conf file), and it's text so it compresses well in *.lrp
packages!

There's also micro_httpd, but it won't do CGI...

You can "wrap" most any inetd based webserver (including sh-httpd) to
get ssl support, if you can afford the space.

> > I can commit to any updates/modifications to sh-httpd that may be
> > required.  I think it's possible to dramatically increase the CGI
> > response of the existing sh-httpd when running CGI's, which would be
> > big help for a CGI driven admin interface.
> >

> I haven't looked at sh-httpd recently, but some form of authentication
> may be a good idea if it's used for a configuration interface.

IMHO, this should probably happen outside the web-server.  I could code
basic authentication into sh-httpd, but that's never really going to be
secure.  I'd suggest either using an authenticating (and possibly
encrypting) front-end like ssh, or off-loading authentication to the
system (ie running su as part of the CGI scripts, and providing the root
or an admin password) while encourgaing the use of encryption (ssh,
zeebee, or similar) if accessing remotely to prevent clear-text
passwords traversing the 'net.

> I'll have a look a forth first. I did come across a small forth
> interpreter here (eforth):
>
> http://www.lxhp.in-berlin.de/index-lx.shtml
>
> I just built it, and the static executable is 22k small. Compare that

Yep...apx 20K for a *POWERFUL* scripting language that allows you direct
access to kernel system calls!  The code isn't pretty to look at, and
it's pretty cryptic if you're not passably familiar with the notation.
I especially like the kernel level forth also at the site above...one of
the current big Forth applications is "Open Firmware", which is how Suns
and several other systems (including most PPC systems, IIRC)
boot...rather than native code, the firmware roms on various plug-in
cards contain small forth routines, which both saves space, and allows
CPU/OS independent boot-strap code (of course, native compiled &
optimized drivers are loaded once the system is boot-strapped).  I can
see something similar being useful for boot-strapping LEAF w/o having to
have 100K shell and 500K of libc...not to write hardware drivers, but to
build/extract the initial ramdisk, do the "kernel-two-step" switch-a-roo
to allow booting a selectable kernel w/o custom CD imgaes, and other
things that are difficult to do with plain shell-script.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net