On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 11:55, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> At 11:03 AM 2/9/03 -0800, Mike Noyes wrote:
> >One of our project members sent me a message off-list expressing a
> >concern over leaf-user list volume. I have no idea how many of our users
> >are affected by the volume on leaf-user. Any enlightenment on this is
> >appreciated.
>
> Glad I asked, since my initial reaction was based on an incorrect guess
> about the source of the concern.
>
> Asuming the individual involved is the lead person on a branch, I'd very
> much recommand providing *that* branch with a separate
> leaf-something_or_other list and modifying (a) the SR FAQ and (b) that
> branch's main page within LEAF to refer questions there. More generally,
> I'd make this decision on a branch-by-branch basis, being guided by the
> lead developer's preference.
>
> Really, it need not be all or nothing here; "fairness" does not enter into
> it. A branch-specific list is a benefit to the developer only if he sees it
> that way; for some, it could be a nuisance. For example, some months ago,
> questions about a new, small-linux distro started turning up on the
> linux-newbie list. We regulars there were puzzled at first, until we found
> out that the distro's creator listed linux-newbie as the place for his
> users to post their questions. It actually worked pretty well, once we know
> what was going on. Clearly, *he* didn't want a distro-specific list, and
> some of our lead developers may feel the same way. But some might want one,
> so why not accommodate both preferences?

Everyone,
Is this solution acceptable? If so, I'll create release/branch specific
lists upon LEAF release/branch lead developer request.

> >I can make this change easily. We made the original change because SF
> >SRs were not being taken care of in a timely manner.
>
> Does sending them to leaf-user help? At least in my case, their format is
> so hard for me to read that I don't even look at them on the list, except
> occasionally on slow days. Do others respond to them by way of leaf-user?
>
> Is an alternative to disable the SF SR system? (It is even possible? Is it
> a good idea?) Or at least discourage its use on the LEAF Home Page (I can
> think offhand of one other project I follow that requests all bug reports
> go to its mailing list, for example, seemingly because this method is what
> the developer finds most convenient for him ... the best possible reason
> for doing it that way, especially as the developer is conscientious about
> responding to list traffic)?

Ray,
There are some people that are unable to configure their email client to
post text/plain messages. Our current ML settings make it impossible for
them to receive support. The only avenue available to them is the SF SR
tracker.

ref. partial admin response to non text/plain posts.
    Details:
    Only messages with a content-type of "text/plain" or
    "multipart/signed" are automatically posted to the list. All other
    content-types, and base64 encoded posts are held for administrative
    action.

    Alternate Support:
    If your employer attaches a footer to all outgoing mail that isn't
    text/plain, you may submit a support request using the LEAF Tracker
    [2].

--
Mike Noyes <mhnoyes @ users.sourceforge.net>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/