Arne Bernin wrote:

Hi Charles!

i just started a small discussion with other bering-uclibc team members,
about generating the leaf.cfg file on user request. My intention is
that i would like to have a small script started by lrcfg that takes the list of installed packages (from /var/lib/lrpkg/packages),
the list of backup devices (from /var/lib/lrpkg/pkgpath.disks) and
puts them (after mounting it) into leaf.cfg... (no more editing of
leaf.cfg by hand for this).

So i was just wondering if this is the way the leaf.cfg should be,
all fileystems in PKGPATH and in LRP only the package names ?
If i remember it right there was a time when you could put into the
LRP line the filesystem names, also . Is this obsolete ??

And what do you think about that idea in general ?

I don't have any fundamental objection to doing this, I just wonder how useful it would be. In order to automatically create the leaf.cfg file, you'd already have to have a working LEAF system, meaning your PKGPATH and other critical settings would have to be correct.

Anyway, if this is useful enough to someone they want to code it, I'll help if there are any questions about details. As for your questions above:

- I assume by "filesystems" you mean mountable device with optional filesystem specifier (ie: /dev/fd0[:MSDOS], as used by PKGPATH=) rather than just a filesystem (ie: MSDOS).

- All mountable devices (and optional filesystem specifier) used to read packages should go into the PKGPATH variable. Note that ORDER IS IMPORTANT, particularly on systems using partial backups, but the correct order should be preserved in the pkgpath.disks file.

- Filesystem specifiers are not currently allowed as part of LRP=, but there is an optional search-order specifier (<package>[:f|:F|:r|:R]). I'm not sure you could extract the search-order suffix w/o parsing the initial kernel command line or existing LEAFCFG file.

I wrote this to you personally cause i am not subscribed to leaf-devel,
but could do this if you prefer.

It seems like leaf-devel is the appropriate place to talk about such issues (CC'd on this e-mail), but you could be cc'd on messages to this thread if you don't want to subscribe (note leaf-devel is farily low-volume).

--
Charles Steinkuehler