On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 17:18, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> Arne Bernin wrote:
ok, just subscribed and continuing on leaf-devel.

> I don't have any fundamental objection to doing this, I just wonder how
> useful it would be.  In order to automatically create the leaf.cfg file,
> you'd already have to have a working LEAF system, meaning your PKGPATH and
> other critical settings would have to be correct.
Ok. I am about to finish some kind of (very) primitive apt-get clone.
Now i am able to install new packages quite easy (no more downloading
via http, scp to firewall, copying to my harddisk, ...). The only thing
i am still missing is, that after installing all the packages (about 35
on my firewall) i would like to generate the LRP line in leaf.cfg...
just my lazyness...

> Anyway, if this is useful enough to someone they want to code it, I'll help
> if there are any questions about details.  As for your questions above:

Thanks!

> - I assume by "filesystems" you mean mountable device with optional
> filesystem specifier (ie: /dev/fd0[:MSDOS], as used by PKGPATH=) rather than
> just a filesystem (ie: MSDOS).

that's right.

> - All mountable devices (and optional filesystem specifier) used to read
> packages should go into the PKGPATH variable.  Note that ORDER IS IMPORTANT,
> particularly on systems using partial backups, but the correct order should
> be preserved in the pkgpath.disks file.
>
> - Filesystem specifiers are not currently allowed as part of LRP=, but there
> is an optional search-order specifier (<package>[:f|:F|:r|:R]).  I'm not
> sure you could extract the search-order suffix w/o parsing the initial
> kernel command line or existing LEAFCFG file.

ok, i did not know what exactly happens, so i asked. I will take a look at it
and think about what i can do automatically...

> > I wrote this to you personally cause i am not subscribed to leaf-devel,
> > but could do this if you prefer.
>
> It seems like leaf-devel is the appropriate place to talk about such issues
> (CC'd on this e-mail), but you could be cc'd on messages to this thread if
> you don't want to subscribe (note leaf-devel is farily low-volume).

--arne