If you go back I'm sure you'll see it mentioned in the LEAPSECS archive. When you play with 1962+ data there's a clear ~20 year cycle [1] and, more importantly, LOD ends up a bit lower each cycle. So the general pattern looks like 20 year arcs back-to-back on top of a gradual trend of ELOD going from 2 or 3 ms to 1 or 0 ms the past 60 years.

These arcs are why there's a leap second lull or drought every ~20 years and that's why this time around there is even talk about a negative leap second. Even if we just barely escape a negative leap second this cycle, the trend says we will get one for sure before the end of the next ~20 year cycle.

This has nothing to do with "tidal braking" which is extremely long-term, as in astronomical timescales. Over decades or perhaps centuries the not-fully-understood cycles internal to the dynamic earth have greater impact.

/tvb

[1] Demetrios has mentioned its the 6939 day Metonic cycle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metonic_cycle