On Tue 2022-07-26T23:33:15+0000 Poul-Henning Kamp hath writ:
> So looking at the IERS LOD plot going all the way back it seems to
> me that we have been missing the big signal for about five decades:
>

> https://datacenter.iers.org/singlePlot.php?plotname=EOPC04_14_62-NOW_IAU2000A-LOD&id=224
>
> How did we not notice that earlier ?

even better is the view from the Paris bureau at
https://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/index.php
which at the moment is showing a Vondrak filtering
of the data with the predictable tidal terms removed.
Even better would be to remove the UT2 semi/annual variation.

caveat is that plot may change before you all look at it.

The rotation of the earth's crust started accelerating right when
the CCIR decided that we should start using leap seconds.

karma

--
Steve Allen                    <s...@ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855