E pur si muove

UTC may no longer serve as a kind of solar time (after 2026 or 2035, or
somebody said 2040 the other day), but civil time will continue to have
engineering requirements tracing to both solar and atomic time scales.
Shenanigans will result, bedeviling future blinkered technocrats.

Rob Seaman
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona