Happy Holidays,

I started to reply to recent emails, but all issues except one have been
discussed over and over again on the mailing list and at the various workshops.
So, my Christmas gift to you all is not to reply, and to myself was to dust off
the login and server info for the futureofutc.org site (it has passed through a
succession of web hosting companies and tech suites). I have updated the links
for the presentations, discussions, and preprints for the 2011 and 2013
workshops to point away from the original lost host at Caltech. The 2014
session at the American Astronomical Society meeting is thrown in for good
measure:

http://futureofutc.org
http://futureofutc.org/2011
http://futureofutc.org/aas223

Please advise of any remaining broken links (some of the 3rd party links have
gone stale, for instance) and suggest additional online resources to add to a
new 2024 links tab. Folks with institutional access might want to also download
the proceedings from “The Science of Time 2016”:

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2017ASSP...50.....A/abstract

For example, see chapter 28: “How Gravity and Continuity in UT1 Moved the
Greenwich Meridian”, by Malys, Seago, Pavlis, Seidelmann, and Kaplan.

The one issue that has not been sufficiently addressed is the standards,
protocols, funding, and logistics for future infrastructure supporting mean
solar time now that UTC won’t. (UT1 is an observational time scale that is only
known a couple of months after the fact.) Perhaps significant work has been
done recently on these infrastructure issues. Pointers would be welcome.

Other custodians of civil time resources are encouraged to review and enhance
them in 2024.

Best wishes to all in the New (leap) Year!

Rob Seaman
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona