Original message from: "Kate Davison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello all.

Well just when everyone thought we were settling for the Christmas break....

Students at Melbourne Uni have begun a squat/occupation in a "MUSH" house
(Melbourne uni Student Housing) after several students have been told to
move out in order to make way for putting these houses on the market.  It
is estimated that a number of them could easily fetch half a million for
the university if sold.

An interesting peice of information is that the Deputy VC in charge of
housing is also on the board of Melbourne University Private - we are
currently investigating how strong this potential link is.

The following demands have been drawn up, after there have been claims of
one student (she was squatting in a house because she hadn't moved out yet
or been able to find alternative arrangements) being harassed by university
security in the middle of the night, fire alarms (which are connected to
the university system) being set off and security not turning them off for
two hours, and other general intimidatory tactics.

1. That no students residing in "MUSH" houses will be harassed, intimidated
or interfered with, especially as a means of vacating a property earmarked
for sale.

2.  That the University of Melbourne extend the leases for those who wish
to continue living in MUSH houses until November 30th, 2000.

3.  That the students who have had to move out of student housing be
invited to come back in February 2000.

4.  That the University of Melbourne develop new student housing which
provides the same or greater amount of available accommodation, and which
is affordable and adequate in the eyes of students.

About 100 students have been or will be affected by this move, and we are
not sure at this stage what is planned for the money the university will
make on these houses. The locks have been changed on the occupied house,
and a constant presence is being maintained there.  We are currently
working out logistics and strategies for maintaining this presence over
Christmas, and would greatly appreciate any help other activists can give.

An invitation is extended to all activists to come and stay in the house,
even for a night, and help us maintain the presence.  We really need you.
If anyone knows where we can locate things like a fax machine that we can
borrow, please let us know - the Union Building at Melbourne Uni will close
on Wednesday at lunch time, so resources are very important at the moment.

Please come and get involved!

Kate D.

For info and to offer assistance, phone:  Paul Coats on 0409 798 092
or Allyson
Hose on 0408 567 013
or email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]