The family data won't transfer unless you have
personally moved it from the old drive/computer to
the new drive/computer, Donna. You install the
program on your new computer but it is empty until
it is given your family database to load.

Is your old computer still available and is the
Legacy family file there?  You want to make a copy
of it to a CDR or DVDR or floppy (rare these days)
or thumb drive and then use that external media to
install it on your new computer.  Legacy has been
installed directly to my C drive on Vista, the
family database is on the C drive at Genealogy/
Legacy6 on my computer.  You might want it
elsewhere.  FTM (FamilyTreeMaker) is under Program
files.

The Vista file structure is different from the XP
file structure.  You will have to adjust tot the
differences.  Many never concerned themselves
overly with how or where files were placed before,
so it takes a bit of comparing to get them working
right.

There is a way to cable (you have to buy) and
Vista will help you automatically move files from
XP to Vista.  I didn't do it, but apparently it
works well for those who have used the options.
The wizard is built into Vista.

Elaine