As others have said, you can submit a correction to Ancestry. I have done so many times. The indexers did the best they could. Some were better at the job than others. As to you your question, if your source citations gives the correct location of the census page, how Ancestry has it indexed doesn't really matter. The index is NOT the source, and there is no reason to reference the error. A future researcher who doesn't use your page reference, but insists on using an unneeded index, isn't taking advantage of your research anyway.

Elizabeth
researching the descendants of William and Sarah (Patterson) Thompson

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Magyari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:49 AM
Subject: [LegacyUG] Alternate Names Ancestry.com and US Census

While searching for my Grandfather 1920 Census via ancestry.com
ancestry had my grandfather's surname indexed Mazzari, with a Yellow triangle next to it indicating other possible names Maggard

When I look at the original it is correctly spelled
Magyari

Since the original image has it spelled correctly, but a search via ancestry,com has it indexed via Mazzari and Maggard (index does NOT have Magyari) which are incorrect transcriptions, but in ancestry's index.