Brian,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.  However, you wrote,
"Although you cannot use the format buttons to set the format in the
Event for the Event Name, Description, Dates or Places you can select
the text and use CTRL-i to set italics, CTRL-b for bold, CTRL-u for
underline and CTRL-s for superscript formats."

That works find in the birth and death fields, but has no effect in the
event location field.  In one case I tried both a CTRL-u and a CTRL-i and
it underlined the word but did not italicize it.

Pat