On 14 Sep 2016 at 17:58, Charlene C wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Chick Lewis <cglewi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The disadvantages outweigh the advantages. FB is predominately a social
> > network. I and many others prefer not to join FB.  The mail forum is
> > strictly info and assistance.  Those of us who do not belong to both are
> > missing many good posts.
> >

> You seem to be of the opinion that if there were only a mailing list the FB
> folks would post here instead. Just as you don't want to use FB, they may not
> want to use a mailing list. I agree that FB isn't ideal for discussions lists.
> On the other hand, I despise forums and wouldn't use one if it were the only
> option.

You do, however, seem to be participating in this forum.

People may have their preferences about which format and technology they like
to use for forums -- mailing list, newsgroup, web page etc. But they are all
forums for discussion and exchange of information.

In some cases it is possible to pick and choose - the soc.genealogy.britain
newsgroup, for example, is gated to a mailing list AND to a web forum by
GoogleGroups, so people can pick and choose which format they prefer.

But Facebook, unlike Google, does not allow such a gating option.

Some seem to be asking that Legacy set up another web forum, not on Facebook,
but that would have the disadvantage of having three forums instead of just
two, so there would be even more chance of not seeing the question that
interests you because it was on one of the other forums.

--
Keep well,
Steve Hayes