Gloria,

Sorry you've lost your settings.

The first thing to do is to NEVER EVER double click the fdb file within the backup zip to open a backup file. I think that's the only way to get Legacy files into a Temp folder.

Backup files are RESTORED. In Legacy go to File - Restore File and find the backup zip you want to restore, click open and then make sure you give it a new name if you don't want to overwrite your file. By default it will save into your default data folder set at Options - Customise 6.1 but you can change the folder in the save dialogue.

Secondly, to use SAVE FILE AS on your file in Temp folders, Remember to Navigate out of Temp folders to a sensible folder and also give a new name for the database before clicking Save. Otherwise you're just saving another copy inside the Temp folder.

Thirdly, the usual way people lose their Legacy settings is deciding to "tidy up" their Documents folder or their genealogy folders and either rename or move ...\Documents\Legacy Family Tree\ This folder cannot be moved or renamed. It will simply be recreated with defaults.

Fourthly, read this article and learn to use the Recent File List and other tools in Legacy to find and open Legacy files.
http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00901
and this one on Backup and Restore:
http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00869

Fifthly, in Options - Customise, reset both 1.2 and 6.1.
6.1 should be set to the folder where you keep your Legacy data.
With 1.2 make sure you are not only choosing the file of the right name but the file of the right name in the right folder.

Once you've done all that, you should be straight though if the backup file you opened was an old backup, there would be data in your normal file that isn't in the file in temp you've been adding to. There are various ways to find the people whose data has been changed and copy that from one file to the other. You can search on modified date and either tag and export those people and import them into the other file and then merge. You can use split screen and open both files at once and compare the data and either drag and drop people from one file to the other and then merge OR just copy and paste or re-enter the missing data. You can import one file into the other and do a full merge first using Intellishare merge, but that can be a daunting process if you're not used to merging.

Cathy
Gloria DeSousa <mailto:gdesou...@gmail.com>
Sunday, 26 March 2017 11:31 PM
Hi Cathy (and everyone else :-),

A few days ago, I opened a backup file from a zip, I then shut Legacy down after looking, re-opened Legacy thinking that it would open to the correct file that I set in Options/Customize/1.2 but I just checked and see that my setting changed without any input from me, and Legacy opened the temporary file instead, which I've been using without realizing for the past few days. I changed it months ago from "open last used family file automatically" to "always open this file" but see it reverted back to the former - how does that happen? I notice other settings change periodically also.

Needless to say, I've been working with a temporary file from the zip folder. I tried to fix it using your instructions from January about doing a Save As (/If you ever notice your file is in a temp folder again (on the Legacy Title bar), get it out immediately using Save As and choosing a sensible folder to save it into)/, and then doing a Restore. No matter what I've tried (too confused to keep track of everything I've done), the name of my file still has Temp in it - \AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_Family 2017 2017-03-22 5.54.09 PM.zip\Mansa & Quintas.fdb.

Before I mess up more, HELP!

Thank you in advance!
Gloria

Cathy Pinner <mailto:genea...@gmail.com>
Sunday, 29 January 2017 10:14 AM
Gloria,

Legacy saves every bit of data you enter as soon as you enter it and click the Save button on that screen. That's why there isn't an Undo. No need for any other save. You just open the same file the next time.

The Legacy backup is the equivalent of you copying your Word document to another drive or folder after you've closed Word. It's insurance. You need it if your computer crashes (and then it's only useful if it's been saved off your computer to an external drive or to a folder on your computer that has synced to the cloud). You also need it if in your next session using Legacy you do something stupid and the quickest fix is to start again from where you were last time you used Legacy.
You use a Legacy backup from within Legacy. You go to File - Restore.

Does that help?

Cathy

Gloria DeSousa <mailto:gdesou...@gmail.com>
Saturday, 28 January 2017 11:03 PM
Thank you very much Cathy. Seems that Legacy saves automatically as I go along, unlike MS Word for example, where CTRL+S is required. I think that's where I went awry, thinking I had to "save". A backup in Legacy is a "save" but not the same as MS Word. Not sure I'm making any sense, since I'm still just a tad confused.

Thanks again,
Gloria

Cathy Pinner <mailto:genea...@gmail.com>
Saturday, 28 January 2017 9:12 AM
Gloria,
These paths are both showing an fdb file inside a Zip folder.
Do not open files from within zips.
Do not use your backups unless you have an emergency.

Temp folders are emptied by various different processes. If you ever notice your file is in a temp folder again (on the Legacy Title bar), get it out immediately using Save As and choosing a sensible folder to save it into.

Do check where your real file is. You may find you have more than one. Use this to help you.
http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00895/11/Error-Messages-Problems/I-lost-my-family-file-Legacy-8.html

The backup is not your saved file. It's a zip which should be saved off of your computer for emergencies.

Also check which file is set to open when you open Legacy. You set this and check it at Options - Customise 1.2 I think the default is "l ast used" but it's safer to set Always open this one and find the file in the right folder. You should set that folder as your default folder at Options - Customise 6.1

Cathy