Hi All,

So I've been thinking a lot about non-commercial licenses. The reason
is there are many humanitarian organizations that are releasing data
CC BY-NC or CC BY-SA-NC. I've been thinking through the issues with
this and trying to improve HOT's points about why using NC licenses is
not recommended.

I wanted to make sure I have a couple scenarios right and also ask if
anyone else on the list has other scenarios they would like to
suggest.

1. I used OSM as the basemap for my map of refugee camps, the camp
data is my organizations and licensed CC BY-NC. The data for OSM and
the camp data is never combined. I release my map under CC-BY-NC. I
believe this is okay.
2. I have a spreadsheet of hospital locations licensed CC-BY-NC, I use
OSM to geocode these locations. I believe this can't happen because of
the incompatibility of the two licenses.
3. I export school locations from OSM and then append capacity of the
schools and other information to the exported data. I then release the
data CC BY-NC on my organizations website. Also can't happen because
of the incompatibility of licenses.

Is my reading of these okay? Are there other potential use cases you
can think about? I do worry about pointing some of these out
potentially and then organizations just not releasing the data
(perhaps in example 3).

Thanks,

-Kate