Hi Martin,

I appreciate the sentiment, though I think it have unintended consequences.

The reason I am asking the questions I'm asking is as part of a
greater effort to advocate within humanitarian groups to release their
data under licenses compatible to OSM. Often the issue with data after
a disaster is that it is locked up and can't be reached in times of
emergency. For example there actually was a map of Haiti after the
earthquake. The office of the National Mapping Agency had collapsed
and where the back-up of the data was not immediately known. One of
the reasons for this is they had a long policy of selling that data,
but nobody was actually buying it.

It is also a slippery slope to make exceptions because then maybe
there are other exceptions that groups would like to make. For example
I could see some groups not wanting OSM used by the military or maybe
large corporations. It is unrealistic though to make these types of
distinctions I think.

Thanks,

-Kate