I also had a look a few months back, and although there isn't much memory in
the RCX there would probably be enough for a half-decent garbage collector. Of
course, there would be a reasonably large amount of overhead so the number of
objects you can have active would be quite a lot less than now. The problems I
ran into were more to do with resolving what is and isn't a reference on the
stack.

In the end, I played around with the memory management code (to try to address
the problems of determining references) but didn't get started on the garbage
collector itself. I got it back to a working state in the emulator, but kept
getting crashes when running on the RCX. I got frustrated trying to find the
bug and took a break. I keep meaning to revisit it. I'd be happy to discuss my
thoughts so far.

> Hi,
>
> I took a look at the source code quite a while ago to implement a garbage
> collector for the RCX version of lejos. I ended up with that it would not
> be difficult to implement, but that there was not enough memory in the
> RCX. If someone wants to work on with this for the NXT I can share my
> findings (I would have to take a new look at this, but it would not take
> much time for me). I will not work on this, because I have no NXT yet (and
> will not by one for the next year).
>
> Also I implemented a small file-system based on the PersistentMemoryArea
> (which also was useless with such less memory). I can take a look, if I
> find the code, if someone wants to go into this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arne

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software