On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 03:09:13PM +0100, Kaleb van Ingen Schenau wrote:
> Still no luck, i've made a 100% sure i start with a fresh copy of the
> extracted gcc.4.7.1.tar.bzp2 and i use a fresh gcc-build directory.
>
> I can give you a summary of my actions if that helps.
> 1. untar binutils, run the test, apply patch
> 2. make a binutils-build directory
> 3. prepare the compile (copy pasting the config prefixes)
> 4. Compile and copy the command that has to be run afterwards from the book
> 5. install GMP, MPFR and MPC
> 6. untar GCC to gcc.4.7.1, switch to the gcc-4.7.1 folder, run the commands
> and make the gcc-build folder inside my gcc-4.7.1 folder.
> 7. Prepare for compille by copy pasting all the commands.
> 8. Make , ulimit -s 32768, make -k check, check the summary (all good and
> matching the log results from the LFS website)
> 9.Make install
> 10. create the links by using the "ln" commands while still in the
> gcc-build dir.
> 11. run the test, while still in the gcc-build dir.
> 12. get messed up results
> 13. cry myself to sleep holding a little tux.
>
> I'm praying one of u guys/girls will now tell me that i made a simple
> mistake and can provide a easy fix because i'm starting to run out of
> back-up plans.
>
> regards,
> Kaleb

 Hi, Kaleb.

 As I said before, I'm out of ideas.  As I also said, please don't
top post - we don't like it on the LFS lists.

 Anyway, now that I've got a little time to spare, I've dug around.
 Google found some links to past threads (gcc-4.4, 4.5!) which seem
similar. Unfortunately, the links were to gmane, only containing the
day and month, so I can't point to the versions in the LFS archives,
and anyway the resolutions were a bit sketchy.

 What I can tell you is that one of the people reported that
reinstalling binutils fixed the problem.  Unfortunately, I've no
idea what went wrong in his first attempt, so I can't point to
anything that you should watch for.

 Perhaps using 'ldd' on /usr/bin/ld might show a problem ?
Looking at the binutils instructions in 6.13, nothing looks
particularly likely to cause problems :

1. the 'spawn ls' test will show that you will be able to run the
testsuite, it doesn't affect the install.

2. removing standards.info doesn't affect how the programs work.

3. the patch fixes a compiler failure if you use -O3 in your CFLAGS.

4. The first time, I hope your binutils-build directory was new,
ditto the untarred source (i.e. neither should be left over from
chapter 5).  In theory, the source should not be updated during the
build process, but safety-first - and you seem to have done that on
the rerun.

5. I suppose it is possible to miss that "tooldir=/usr" needs to be
specified for _both_ 'make' and 'make install'.

ĸen