On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Michael Allan <m...@zelea.com> wrote:
> Maxim Kammerer said:
>> ... Any decent mailing list uses reply-to-list as a default. ...
>
> Pardon me, but that's not true.  GNU Mailman is a decent list server
> and it ships with reply-to-sender.

I wrote “mailing list”, not “mailing list software”. I am on quite a
few mailing lists, and they all use reply-to-list.

>> ... no new information has been brought in this thread.
>
> That seems unlikely.  I think the new information is that *this*
>
>> ... preventing personal replies from being inadvertently sent to the
>> entire list.
>
> is now recognized to be a safety issue.
>
> Matt Mackall said:
>> It's quite easy to imagine <extremely embarassing private matter>
>> being replaced by <career-ending aside> on most lists, but on this
>> one in particular it might be replaced by <potentially
>> life-endangering datum>. ...  How many... minor inconveniences equal
>> one job lost or life endangered? ...
>
> Isn't that a valid point?

No, it's a useless imaginary construct. A valid point would be an
example (preferably, more than one) of such an email on this list,
where it would be possible to debate whether the person actually
deserved losing his job / life for hastily sending said email.
Otherwise, my imaginary friend here says that his convenience is more
important than your imaginary construct.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte