On Mon, August 13, 2007 15:55, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>One problem is, all this asynchronous stuff requires locking.  We don't
>> do
>>that right now, and it's a pretty big step to take.
>
> I think that the cancellation methods could be added to pqxx without
> implementing locking.  One of my biggest concerns in implementing
> request cancellation in pqxx was how to implement the tests.

I can imagine, yes.  It's not perfect, but perhaps the pg_sleep() function
could help here.  One thread can do a "select pg_sleep(60)" while another
can wait 5 seconds (or whatever you feel is long enough that it won't fail
just because the test system happens to be busy) and then cancel the
query.

> I am preparing to replace all of our home-brew database objects'
> implementations with libpqxx.  The program is multi-threaded so we
> already handle locking issues in other ways at higher-levels.

That's the general policy for libpqxx at the moment anyway, so whoever
follows that should be okay.

> Statement cancellation is the only thing we need that's missing in pqxx.

Thanks for working on this!

Jeroen